Kristie Smith, Music teacher
Hi! I’m Dr. Kristie Smith, and I teach harp lessons and piano lessons in Las Vegas. I have taught music lessons for over fifteen years.
I teach my students how to practice effectively and efficiently, with focus and discipline.
I provide students with a thorough understanding of music history and music theory.
I customize lessons to fit the unique needs of each student. My goal is to help each student become the very best musician they can be.
I began playing the piano at the age of six and the harp at the age of ten. I competed in and won many local and national music competitions during my teenage years.
I received my undergraduate training with Dr. Carrol McLaughlin, renowned jazz harpist and director of HarpFusion. I studied piano with Dr. Paula Fan, Regents Professor of Piano and principal pianist of the Tucson Symphony Orchestra.
I was honored as the Outstanding Senior of my undergraduate class when I graduated summa cum laude and with Honors with a Bachelor of Music in harp and piano performance from the University of Arizona in 2004.
I have been privileged to study with internationally respected teachers. I have just completed my Doctor of Music degree from Indiana University, where I studied with Distinguished Professor Susann McDonald, artistic director of the World Harp Congress. I received my Master of Music degree from Indiana University in 2005.
As a student of Susann McDonald, I continue the tradition of harp playing in the method of Henriette Renié, a respected French harpist and composer for the harp.
I am extremely proud of my students! Here are some of their accomplishments:
- My harp student Emma plays professionally for weddings in St. George, Utah.
- First prize winner at the Las Vegas Music Teachers Association Silver State Competition in 2016.
- Winner of the Henderson Symphony Concerto Audition in 2017.
- Winner’s recital, Handel harp concerto with the Henderson Symphony in 2017.
- Winner of the Southwest Symphony Concerto Competition in 2017.
- Winner’s recital, Handel's harp concerto with the Southwest Symphony in early 2018.
- First prize winner of the Nevada Music Teachers Association Legacy Competition in 2018.
- First prize winner of the ASTA solo competition in 2018, with a performance at the winner's recital in January 2019.
I have an extensive performance background. I have won first prize in several national music competitions, including the American Harp Society Young Professional Competition, the Anne Adams Awards, and the NFMC Young Artist Awards.
I have competed in international harp competitions, including the Israel International Harp Contest and the USA International Harp Competition.
As the American Harp Society Concert Artist, I toured the US for two years giving solo recitals. I was honored to represent the American Harp Society at its Opening Concert in Los Angeles and at the World Harp Congress in Dublin.
I play harp for weddings in the Las Vegas area.
I belong to the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA), the Las Vegas Music Teachers Association (LVMTA), and the American Harp Society (AHS).